Rio Rancho Location Guide
Del Norte Credit Union is proud to have joined the Rio Rancho community in 2021. If you’re also considering a move to Rio Rancho, check out our guide below and be sure to stop by our new branch and discover our full range of competitive financial products and services.
Rio Rancho’s Past and Present
Celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, Rio Rancho is the largest city and an economic hub in Sandoval County, part of the Albuquerque Metropolitan area in Central New Mexico. A small portion of Rio Rancho also extends into northern Bernalillo County.
The name Rio Rancho comes from “Los Ranchos,” a reference to the ranches along the Rio Grande in the Albuquerque Basin. Also known as The City of Vision, Rio Rancho’s core values include cooperation, respect, and stewardship.
According to census data, Rio Rancho’s population has been growing over the last decade, with a current population of about 99,178.
Geographically, Rio Rancho is bordered by Albuquerque to the south, the Santa Ana Indian Reservation to the north, and the cities of Bernalillo and Corrales to the east. Common vegetation in Rio Rancho includes a variety of grasses, yucca plants, sagebrush bushes, cholla cactus, and one-seed junipers. The weather in Rio Rancho is mostly pleasant: sunny, warm, and dry, with a view of the mountains.
Rio Rancho is also an ethnically diverse city with Spanish and Native American languages commonly spoken in addition to English.
As a member-owned and community-focused credit union, we strive to reflect northern New Mexico’s traditions, culture, and community. We are excited to have become a part of the Rio Rancho community and to bring our Community Sponsorship Programs to benefit local organizations and programs.
Neighborhoods in Rio Rancho
The city of Rio Rancho is the third largest in New Mexico. With a University of New Mexico campus here, the city also has a “college town” feel. There is a variety of housing stock to choose from, mostly single-family homes but in a variety of styles, from Spanish-style architecture to more modern-looking homes.
Approximately 15 different neighborhoods make up Rio Rancho, some of them planned developments with homeowners associations. The neighborhood names include: Juniper Hills, Los Rios, Loma Colorado, Northern Meadows, Mariposa, North Hills, Panorama Heights East, Rivers Edge One, Solar Village/Mid-Unser, Tampico, Vista Hills, and Willow Trace.
Rio Rancho’s real estate market is very hot right now, with a median sales price of $285,000 and many homes selling for more than the list price after receiving multiple offers. If you’re looking to buy a home in Rio Rancho, or to refinance the mortgage on your current Rio Rancho home, Del Norte can help. Learn more about our home loan options and the buying process.
About 30% of adults in Rio Rancho have a Bachelor’s degree, giving the city a higher education level than the national average.
Public education is provided by Rio Rancho Public Schools, whose mission is “dedicated to graduating students who are responsible, ethical, and productive citizens, equipped with a solid foundation for individual success.” Visit their website to learn more about the 10 elementary schools, four middle schools, and four high schools in the district.
Charter schools are also available in New Mexico.
As mentioned, Rio Rancho is a “college town” with campuses for UNM, Central New Mexico Community College, and New Mexico Highlands University.
As a member-owned and community-focused credit union, Del Norte strives to improve the lives of youth and families in New Mexico with our Del Norte LOV (Living Our Vision) Foundation. As our newest branch location, Rio Rancho can expect us to advocate for your communities by promoting financial literacy and supporting the well-being of youth and their families throughout early childhood as well as educational, vocational, and scholarship opportunities.
Healthcare and Public Safety
Rio Rancho’s Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) consists of volunteers who are trained in small fire management and fire safety, basic first aid, evacuation tactics, search and rescue tactics, and more.
The Citizen Corps Council offers public safety education to help the citizens of Rio Rancho take an active role in protecting themselves from harm, knowing what to do in the event of a crisis, and expanding volunteer opportunities to make the community safer.
The primary healthcare options in Rio Rancho are:
- Presbyterian Rust Medical Center
- UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center
PNM is New Mexico’s largest electricity provider, serving more than 500,000 NM residents and businesses in Greater Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Los Lunas, and Belen, Santa Fe, Las Vegas, Alamogordo, Ruidoso, Silver City, Deming, Bayard, Lordsburg, and Clayton.
Gas services are provided by New Mexico Gas Company, which is a member of the Emera Inc. family of energy companies. The service area covers 6,501 square miles, operates in 23 out of the 33 NM counties, encompassing 60% of the population in the state.
Water services are handled via the Utility Service Division of the city of Rio Rancho.
Parks & Recreation
Rio Rancho boasts a wealth of Parks and Recreation options including bike paths, 10 dog parks, 21 dog-friendly community parks, designated open space, hiking trails, and “prescription trails.”
The city of Rio Rancho also offers Summer Camps, Senior Citizen Services, Online Tutoring for students, Summer Food Services for students, Memorial Programs, state-licensed Pre-School, and environmental services and efforts like Keep Rio Rancho Beautiful which encourages residents to recycle, conserve resources and minimize waste.
- Rio Rancho Prescription Trails Program is a walking and wheelchair-friendly effort that suggests walking routes in the community targeted to promote healthy lifestyles.
- Rio Rancho Rainbow Park Observatory/Planetarium opened in 2013 and has three permanently mounted telescopes.
- Community Centers/Recreation Centers in Rio Rancho are available to rent for special events: Cabezon Community Center and park, Hayes Community Center, Sabana Grande Recreation center, and Star Heights Recreation Center.
- Community Pool/Aquatic Centers: Rio Rancho Aquatic Center, Cabezon Outdoor Pool, Haynes Outdoor Pool, and Rainbow Outdoor Pool.
- Rio Rancho Public Libraries have a lot of services including children, teen, and adult programs, a research center, business resources, online resources, garden center library for seeds and garden tools, art exhibits, test proctoring, Spanish services, laptop rentals, meeting & study rooms, etc.
Looking to enjoy the outdoors in your own RV or all-terrain vehicle? We can help make your dream a reality with convenient and affordable financing.
Food & Drink
Rio Rancho has over two dozen established microbreweries and brew pubs. Local breweries include Turtle Mountain Brewing Company, 1933 Brewing Company, Turquoise Desert Tap Room, Brew Lab 101 Beer & Cider Co, Bosque Brewing, and Kaktus Brewing Company
Select restaurants in the RR area offer “meals on the go” that make for a healthy meal when you don’t have time to stop for a sit-down.
The Rio Rancho Sports Complex features baseball fields, basketball courts, picnic areas, playgrounds, putting greens, a skate park, softball fields, tennis courts, and a walking path.
Rio Rancho Sports Facilities include Bernalillo Soccer Tournament Complex, McDermott Athletic Center, Rio Rancho Events Center, Rio Rancho High School, Rio Rancho Sports Complex, and Ten Pins Bowling Lanes.
Check out the high-altitude bike trails for bicycle and mountain bike training, racing, and touring.
Rio Rancho has a handful of golf courses in the area including Desert Greens, Sandia Golf Club, Santa Ana Golf Club, and Twin Warriors Golf Club.
Employment & Small Business Resources
The New Mexico Workforce Connection is an online portal for New Mexico residents seeking employment, managing unemployment benefits, seeking training resources, internships, veteran services, and apprenticeships.
Grants For Rio Rancho Businesses and Business Owners:
- New Mexico Small Business Assistance Program
- Small Business Innovation Research Program (SBIR)
- Tribal Economic Diversity Fund
- Value Added Producer Grants
- Restaurant Revitalization Fund Grant (RRF)
Nonprofits and State Funds For Small Business Assistance:
- DreamSpring: Increases access to business credit, offers loans, provides training for entrepreneurs
- Startup New Mexico: National network of startup communities that bring together entrepreneurs
- The Loan Fund: Tax-exempt community development financial institution that provides loans, training, and business consulting to business owners and entrepreneurs in the NM and Navajo Nation.
- WESST: A private nonprofit economic development organization that provides business straining, consulting, and loans to entrepreneurs. Specifically serves Women, Minorities, and Rural Businesses through special programs.
- WESST Women’s Business Center Program: Founded to foster the growth of women-owned businesses by providing access to education, training, mentoring, business development, and financing opportunities.
Business Outreach Resources and Partnership Organizations
- New Mexico Veterans Business Outreach Center (VBOC): Provides entrepreneurial development services to veterans from all branches of the military including business training, workshops, and referrals.
- New Mexico Partnership (EDD): Private nonprofit organization, created by the request of local leaders in businesses across NM to be the official business recruiting force for the state to attract businesses and create jobs in NM – the primary goal is to attract out of state businesses to NM.
- New Mexico’s Small Business Development Centers: Provides small business assistance with planning, marketing, financing, start-up, accounting/financial management, tax and legal help, human resources, issues, e-commerce, and entrepreneur training.
- Sandoval County Small Business Development Center
DNCU is your ideal partner for a better future!
We’re so excited to meet you at the newest DNCU branch in Rio Rancho! You can find us just off highway 528 and near the Walmart Supercenter. Come say hi and join DNCU today!